Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Love In A Sandwich

So everyone's asking me what I've been up to. No, I haven't been depressed and suicidal after being rejected by the publisher. Just been up to a lot of stuff, two of which are eating very often at Subway (a healthier lunch alternative to the convenient McD Drive-Thru) and checking out soppy love stories posted by kids on Facebook through this LoveGivesMeHope-something-something website. So put two and two together, and I thought of writing my own soppy love story set in a Subway outlet. You've been warned.

"Hi sir, would you like to try our Sub Of The Day? It's Tuna Delight today."

"Nah, Spicy Italian please."

Their eyes glanced at each other nervously over the counter. This was his third straight day coming over. He was sure she could guess his crush on her.

"Bread?"

"Parmesan Oregano."

A subtle smile formed over her lips as she neatly arranged the pepperoni slices on his sliced bread. "Toasted?"

"As always." he smiled back at her.

She placed it in and set the oven for 20 seconds. Great. All the time he needed to ask her out.

"So...what's your favourite Sub?"

Her heart skipped a beat. Finally he was talking to her!

"Hmm...well, I love meat. So, that pretty much means I have a thing for them all. Except the Vegetarian one, of course. Definitely not that. So to answer your question... probably the Italian BMT."

"Ooh, Italian BMT, that's a good one. Hey anyways. I've always wondered what BMT stands for. Any idea?"

"Take a guess." she winked.

"I dunno! Bacon, Meat, Tomatoes?"

"Keep guessing, keep guessing." her finger twirled.

"Big, Meaty, Tasty? Best Made Today? Argh, I dunno!"

"Frankly," her voice became serious. "Nobody knows. Personally I think it's Black Mushy Things."

They burst out laughing together.

"You know, I've seen you here for three days and I don't know your name yet." she giggled.

"So you noticed me after all." he smirked. "It's Jon. And hey... I don't know your name too."

"It's here, Mr. Observant." she pointed proudly to her name tag which read 'Layla'.

They nodded at each other shyly.

Ding!
The timer on the oven went off.

"Your choice of dressing?"

"Sexy."

She laughed politely.

"Okay, that was a bad joke. Say, Layla... you wanna go for a movie tonight?"

Please say yes. Please say yes. Say anything. Just don't say no.

"Sure. What time?"

"Eight?" He tried his best not to sound too excited.

"Ahhh... would love to, but I finish at ten. Maybe we can have some coffee instead?"

"No probs. I'll be here at ten?"

"See you then." her eyes sparkled. "Mayonnaise?"

*****

"Layla?" he called out. The usually bustling shop was now perfectly still, the last customers having long left.

"Back here."

He followed her voice to find her sweeping the floor in the kitchen, hair tied neatly into a ponytail.

"Mind giving me five minutes? Everyone else left early. I'm so sorry."

"It's okay, no hurry. Need any help?"

"Hmm." she peered around. "Sure, that would be great. Mind getting me a trash bag? Over there."

"Okay."

He took two steps towards the bags.

She glanced as he walked past her.

With one powerful swing of the broomstick, she knocked him out cold.

*****

An hour later, she emerged from the kitchen, hands bloodied and carrying a fresh tub of meat.

She peered outside to check tomorrow's Sub Of The Day.

Meatball Marinara. Great.

Writer's note: You were warned. :O

3 comments:

cheechiaw said...

I know, you asked the girl in Subway out for movie and she rejected you, so this story is to revenge.

steambunz said...

WAH...that is...LOL

mOkKiEs said...

@Chee chiaw: shaddap b4 i write a story abt u too! =p