Thursday, May 06, 2010

Mother And Child

A post dedicated to Angela, because you made me start writing this. Looking forward to reading your version of it. ;^)

And no guys...Angela is not my mother. ==

Happy mother's day in advance, by the way!

"Hi, Mummy. I made you a card." he beamed the widest he could manage.

She flipped it open and browsed through his note. "That's sweet." Quickly putting it down, she went about her business, not even sparing him a second glance.

He pouted. He wasn't used to not getting her attention. "Mummy, where are you going?"

No reply. She acted as though he didn't even ask the question.

"MO-MEEEE...where are you going?"

She stopped for a moment to wipe something from her eye. Without a word, she started opening a suitcase and throwing his clothes in.

"Mummy?"

"You're leaving."

"What? When?"

"Today."

He peeked at her face. It wasn't her angry face. But it wasn't her happy face either.

"Mummy...did I do something wrong?"

She choked for a while. And started crying. It made him feel even worse.

"Mummy," he tried to hug her. "I'm sorry if I was bad."

"No," she pushed him away. "Go away. You're leaving."

"But why? Why can't I stay?"

She sobbed even harder. It broke his heart to see her this way. Someone must have hurt her badly.

"Mummy, please don't cry. I hate it."

"I'm so sorry," she buried her face in her hands. "I'm so so sorry."

"For what, Mummy?"

"Don't ask any more. Just go away."

"What's happening Mummy? Is Daddy taking me away?"

She shook her head and shut her eyes, willing him out of her sight.

"Mummy," he put his hand on hers. "Just tell me the truth."

"I-I don't know where your Daddy is. I miss him terribly too."

A harsh series of knocks on the door made them jump.

"Mummy," he peered out of the window. "There's a strange man outside."

She pulled her hand away from his. "He's here to take you away."

"What?!" he shrieked. "You can't let him do that!"

She covered her ears and turned away from him. Her tears, however, betrayed the depth of hurt hidden in her heart.

"Mummy, please!" he ran and tried to cling to her, as the door opened. "I'm scared!"

She fell onto her knees and let loose a wail of anguish. This was her child whom she had suffered much for. Like all mothers, she had once promised him a lifetime of love and protection in her arms. She had on countless nights held him dear and watch this sweet angel sleep away in his own world. She had given so much of herself to give him life, hope and affection.

But now, by her own will and against it at the same time, this child was being taken away from her.

"I'm so sorry," she cried till no tears were left. "Forgive Mummy."

"Why? Did I do something wrong Mummy? Just tell me."

"No, no, no. It was never your fault. Remember that. It was Mummy's fault."

With wide unblinking eyes, he was snatched away, innocent till the end.

*****

"Miss?"

"Yes, doctor?"

"Your abortion was successful."

"Thank you."

She stared lifelessly back at the grey ceiling, drained of all emotions. Deep in her heart though, she wept softly for the child she never knew.

2 comments:

cheechiaw said...

A pro-abortion statement?

mOkKiEs said...

no ler. not pro- or anti-abortion. just a story about abortion, that's all. though i'm personally anti-abortion. ;^)