Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Chapter 8: "Chosen"

"Me?" I practically squawked. "Y-you mean I'm going to be some sort of Chosen One?"
"Hm...I don't quite like the sound of 'Chosen One'. Doesn't even rhyme. But yeah...you get the
picture. It's been ten years since a human from the real world has entered Blogspot. We've all waited for so long, and finally it's happened. Just as He is putting the final touches to His masterblog scheme as well, if I might concede. Surely this is no coincidence."
"So let me guess...somewhere down the line, I'll need to fight Him?"
"And defeat Him in the ultimate showdown that the whole of Blogspot has been awaiting for a decade."
"That's insane!" I yelled. "You're all totally out of whack!"
I strode out of the cave shaking my head, hoping to wake up comfy in my bed at any time. I wasn't some long-prophesised saviour with mythical powers destined to save this world from diabolical villains. Nope, nope, not at all. Just your average clueless Joe caught in an eerily sticky situation.
Suddenly a little hand caught my waist. It was the girl who was beside U.
"What do you want?" I asked rather crossly.
She pursed her lips and shook her head firmly, as if begging me not to go.
"Linnie's parents died when she was little," U quipped. "More accurately, they were murdered."
Tears welled up in her eyes.
"That's sad," I replied. "But nothing I can do about it."
"That's where you're wrong. Back then, her parents were one of His strongest opposers. Fearing that they would someday assemble a powerful enough movement to threaten His plans, He tried persuading them to join Him. When they refused He paid them a visit, and...we all know what happened next."
Little trails of tears dotted Linnie's cheeks and fell to the ground. She whimpered mutedly and turned so that we wouldn't see her crying.
"Linnie saw everything. Everything. I don't know how long ago it happened, but since the day I found her wandering alone and took her in, she has never said a single word. I do know, however, that she wants nothing more than to bring her parents back to life again, and the only way that is ever going to happen is if you defeat Him who murdered them."
From the corner of my eye I caught her nodding gently.
"You see, Garrick, it's not a question of if you can do it," U's eyes burned into mine. "You have to do it. Blogspot needs you. Linnie needs you. Heck, even I need you."
Haering that, there was no way I could say no. Be it my will or that of forces beyond my control, I had unwittingly been thrown into the greatest adventure and fiercest battle of my life.

No comments: