Saturday, November 19, 2005

The New Girl, Chapter 11

Like "anonymous" says in the chatterbox, I've certainly been blogging too much. Which is why five days of not updating feels like five lifetimes. However, it does seem that I've been neglecting some of the better parts of life to sit dumbly at a keyboard pounding away all day, be it blogging or Yahoo Graffiti.
And when will this story end? I've learnt my lesson and am not taking too many chances with keeping you guys in suspense - I try to include one plot point in every chapter now. So I say we're looking at no more than 40 chapters, likely done by February. Or March. This so reeks of "fishy promise"...
And perhaps it's due to the lack of people disrupting me MSN-ically or my desperation to sleep, but this must the first chapter in ages which took me less than an hour to write. Not that it doesn't fulfill your recommended daily dosage of Twisted Tales, though...

May stretched one last time and rolled out of bed. She still could not for the life of her figure out how she had ended up with so much time last night. In between staying back at the Secret Garden (which was now their official name for the place), household chores, and a steadily piling load of homework, she had expected to be up till one at least. But no, she was sound alseep by eleven. Which wasn't a bad thing at all.

"You gotta be kidding me." May cursed under her breath. That darn pinafore was still too short. No, it was in fact even shorter than yesterday - now it didn't even touch her kneecap. Not to mention that the waist seemed too tight as well.
"Mom!" She yelled crossly as she strode into the kitchen. "Why are my pinafores shrinking?"
"They are?"
"Yes. Look!" The hemline hovered mockingly out of reach.
"Hmm. That's weird. It's new, isn't it?"
"Yeeeeess."
It was so arousingly curious and yet infuriating at the same time. As much as May loved a good mystery as the next person, it was highly irritating at these kind of times. There was no choice but for her to go to school in the overly short skirt and hope not to be caught standing straight.

"Hey," Jean giggled. "It's even shorter than it was yesterday!"
"Oh no," May moaned, tugging at the skirt for all its worth. "Is it noticable?"
"Erm...quite."
She could swear it was shrinking by the minute. It would probably be a micro mini by the time school was over.
"Pst," A gap-toothed girl sitting opposite their table snapped her fingers their way. She held out a folded piece of paper to May. Surprised, May took it and read the messily penciled mesage inside:
"Dear May,
I realise that we're not the best of friends, but as a kind-hearted soul I feel that I should warn you about something. I notice that you're already showing the same symptoms as the previous girl did. Worse things will happen later on, but I can't be too sure yet. Guess you should have listened to my advice and not get too close to your good ol' buddy beside you. If you have any questions, feel free to approach me any time during recess. I'll be at the usual table with the rest of my girls.
Yours truly, Saras."

No comments: