Friday, September 30, 2005

Ghostopia, Chapter 64: Kat's Story, Part Nine

"So," her dad finally said something. "What made you want to come for the rehearsal again today?"
Katrina stared at the passing people, relieved that it wasn't her out there in the sun. "Why, I didn't want to let you win, dad." she said as sweetly as possible.
He paused. "I must seem pretty evil to you."
"More or less."
"If only you would listen to my side of the story for once, instead of painting such an ugly picture. Has it ever occurred to you that I don't enjoy making things so difficult for everyone?"
She sneered, pretending to flip through some notes.
"Fact of the matter is, I too wish we could be a family like before. Unfortunately, there are so man-"
"Unfortunately what, dad?" Katrina suddenly snapped. "It must have been really difficult for you, right? Spending all your time earning big bucks while mom cries every night for you to come back."
"Now, listen-"
"And now you're gonna rund us down even further, huh? Cutting off the alimony, stopping me from coming to rehearsals - you would just love it if mom and I disappeared from the face of this earth, wouldn't you?"
"That's not true."
"Oh, that is so true," her voice grew mocking. "Ex-father."
Without warning the car stopped, almost sending Katrina's forehead to the dashboard.
"I'd hoped you would understand." he gazed at her. "There's always been a part of me that hungers for fame and wealth. Unfortunately, I wasn't born that way and I was determined to work all the way to the top. Even more unfortunately, having a family got in the way most of the time. Your mom especially."
"Painful as it was, everything went terrific after the divorce. I finally had back the two things the marriage robbed from me - time and money. That was the best year of my life, Katrina. I had a chance to re-invent myself to everyone."
"And now that I'm this close," he held his thumb and finger an inch apart. "I can't afford to have any scandals coming from the mouth of you two. Women always have a way of making us appear the victimisers. I see it every day in my workplace. Well, it's not going to happen this time."
She shook her head. "Rubbish. I'm not buying a single word of it."
"Katrina, you're a smart girl. Please understand. All I'm asking is that you both lie low. I'll try to work out something on the alimony, I promise."
"I won't," she said. "I'm going to let Mr. Rogers make me famous. And there's nothing you can do about it."
His jaw tightened. "That's not what I'd hoped to hear."
The car started again, not a single exchange heard between them.

No comments: