Friday, May 06, 2005

Ghostopia, Chapter 17: Cause Of Death

Once more she shot them 'the look'. "Oh, so now you're gonna take pity on me just because I asked you to?"
"Uh, hey-"
"Well, you can just take it and shove it! I've never lived by the pity of others, never needed it; and if you think you're so special, you've got another thing coming, buster!"
"Look here, little girl," Darren gritted his teeth. "I haven't had the best day of my life so far, and you sure didn't make it better by betraying my trust and running off with my stuff. So if you'd just put a lid on that me-me-me act there, I'm sure the world would be a much better place."
"Guys, guys-"
"Oh, and I suppose I'm having the time of my life stuck with you two nimrods?" Kat cut off Nelson's vain attempt at quelling the arguement. "Hey, actually I am having a swinging time! This so totally beats wandering out on the streets figuring out who to cheat the next morning so that I can stay alive!"
"Whoa, you actually don't have a place to stay?" asked Nelson in shock.
Darren tried to come up with a snide reply, but saw that it was pointless. "That's...um, sad. What happened?"
"None of your business." she scowled.
"Hey, come on," Darren sighed. "Who knows, maybe we can help. I'm sure Nelson here has got some extra rooms in his house."
She pretended to be asleep.
"Leave her alone," Nelson said. "We should be getting some sleep too."
"Okay," he shrugged. "Any idea what her problem is?"
"We've been guessing for some time. Most likely related to her cause of death, they say."
"Why? What do you mean?"
"Every Ghost feels differently when they find themselves here. Some die with no regrets, some die bitterly, some tragically. Since your death is the last experience you had in the previous world, the emotions usually carry on to shape your personality in Ghostopia."

No comments: