Friday, November 12, 2004

Chapter 17: "Reset"

Archiver? What was he doing here?
"Quite entertaining, don't you think?" he stroked his beard. "I bet He's watching from somewhere too."
Smash! The giant Moby flung Toby to the ground, but he narrowly managed to Tab to soften his fall.
"You mean..." I looked at Archiver in horror. "You mean you planned all these? That they would meet and try to kill each other?"
"Hey, don't blame me, I'm just watching from the bylines."
This was too much. Unable to contain my anger, I squeezed my hands around the old man's throat. "Tell me! NOW!"
He struggled in vain to pry my fingers away, face turning red.
"Tell me, or I'll snap your neck, I swear!" I'd never felt angry like this before. The more I looked at him, the more I felt like everyone here was being used.
Out of the blue, a hauntingly familiar sight caught my eye. It was a speck of light from afar, so small a careless eye could well have missed it.
I swallowed hard. Could it be...
Expanding as fast as I could think, it turned a metallic greyish hue. This was bad! It was that exact same light I'd been hit by previously, and it was coming fast!
"AHHH!" There wasn't even enough time for me to let go of Archiver's neck, when shwoop! I had no choice but to close my eyes.
Then came that indenfinite period of time. My mind went completely numb to the concept of time, not even sure if I was growing older or younger.
I could only imagine what would await me next.

No comments: